Who needs paid-for comic making apps or subscription services to online comic creators? With any smart device, installed with the Google Slides app, you can now quickly and easily create your own comics on the go! You will need the latest version of the Google Slides mobile app, which now allows you to add your own pictures and photos.
Still not convinced? Have a look at the short video below where I demonstrate exactly how to do it on an iPad Mini in less than 3 minutes (it will work similarly on an iPhone or Android tablet or phone). Thanks to Mike Petty who gave me the idea during a presentation he made during a Google Education on Air session.
The tutorial co-stars my puppy, Spike, who patiently slept the whole afternoon while I made the video.
Applications for education
- Create a single cell or a whole comic book
- Great for BYOD/BYOT environments because the app is free in both iOS and Android
- Can also work with Chromebooks (portable devices make taking pictures easier)
- Great for creativity and literacy
- Can also be applied to other subjects, e.g., for history, provide a series of pictures around a historic event in a Google Slides document and have the students create a comic
- Use instead of posters, narratives, etc.
- Encourage collaborations in pairs, small groups or even the whole class
- For greater scaffolding, provide the pictures and had students add the captions